Typically, older homes are not as safe as newer homes, which poses many potential safety risks for today’s senior citizens.
New Homes Vs Old Homes
There are a few main differences between older and newer homes, including:
- Home Safety Concerns
- Energy Efficiency
- Maintenance Requirements
All of the aforementioned differences can influence your choice to purchase a newer or older home. For senior citizens, though, newer homes are better suited for their increased safety needs.
Old Home Pros
Yes, there are several benefits associated with owning and living in older homes. Older homes tend to have ideal locations since they were primarily built close to town centers. This likely ensures easy access to surrounding shops, restaurants and other amenities. These houses are usually in established neighborhoods, offering a nice sense of community.
Of course, older homes are also cheaper. Depending on condition and location, older homes are often less expensive than newer ones in the same exact area. Anyone purchasing an older home can usually count on better availability than newer homes.
Old Home Cons
Sometimes, the cons can outweigh the pros when it comes to purchasing a new home. It can be extremely difficult for seniors to keep up with any maintenance or remodeling needs. Some older homes may need newer heating and electrical equipment. This can be nearly impossible for seniors to keep up with.
Newer homes come equipped with safety features, such as lights, locks and burglar alarms. This equipment is crucial for the well-being of any senior living alone. Energy efficiency, or lack thereof, can pose a threat to seniors, as well.
Old Home Safety Checklist
Here are a few simple things you can do to ensure your home is as safe as possible:
- Keep all entrances clutter free.
- Make sure handrails are on both sides of steps and stairs.
- Exterior pathways must be free of loose stones, steps and holes.
- Kitchen cabinets should be easily accessible.
- Uncarpeted steps should feature non-slip surfaces.
- All cords and wiring should be coiled and out of walkways.
- All lighting is easily accessible.
- Install safety grab bars throughout the home.
- Locate telephones in multiple rooms.
- Ensure doorways can safely accommodate wheelchairs, walkers and transport chairs.
Assisted Living At Desert Winds Retirement In Peoria, Arizona
If you are searching for a memory care facility in Peoria, Arizona, Desert Winds Retirement Community is the facility for you! Travel over to our memory care page to see pictures find out more about our facility, amenities, floor plans and more.
More Articles About Senior Living
- Retiring In Arizona Pros And Cons
- Independent Living Vs Assisted Living
- 5 Easy Crafts For Seniors With Dementia
- Questions For Assisted Living Interviews
- When To Move From Assisted Living To Memory Care
- How To Retire At 45
- 7 Core Exercises For Seniors
- Independent Living Facilities Near Me
- Benefits Of Independent Living For Seniors
- Can I Retire At 60 With 500K
- Lewy Body Dementia Vs Alzheimer’s
- Top 5 Best Dog Breeds For Seniors
- Why Retire In Arizona?
- How To Save For Retirement Without A 401k
- 30 Quotations About Getting Old
- Golf Exercises For Seniors
- Best Cities To Retire In Arizona
- When Might Be The Best Time To Start Saving For Retirement?
- How Much Does a Retirement Home Cost?
- How Much Does In-Home Care Cost?
- How Much Does a Nursing Home Cost?
- How Much Does Memory Care Cost?
- How Much Does Independent Living Cost?
- How Much Does Retirement Cost?
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost?
- What Age Can You Stop Filing Income Taxes?
- What To Write In A Retirement Card Continued – 110 Quotes
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Peoria, Arizona?
- Enjoyable Activities for Seniors
- Happy Retirement Quotes
- Senior Living Peoria
- Common Elderly Health Issues
- What is Arthritis?
- What Are The Benefits Of Assisted Living?
- What is Independent Living?
- Assisted Living Checklist: What To Ask & What To Look For
- Independent Living Checklist: What To Ask & What To Look For
- Find Memory Care Facilities In Arizona
- Best Places To Retire In Peoria Arizona
- How To Look Younger At Age 50+
- Restarting Work After Early Retirement
- Things To Do In Peoria AZ Outside Of The Retirement Home
- Checklist for Moving Into A Peoria Assisted Living Facility
- Help With Choosing Assisted Living Communities In Peoria, AZ
- 38 States That Don’t Tax Social Security Benefits 2016